Copyright Notice!

Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to look around and use any advice or information I post, HOWEVER you MAY NOT use any of my photos without my permission for any reason! If you would like to use my pictures please contact me and ask for permission! Thank you and enjoy!

~Becca & Mandy

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dog Poisons! (again)

Ok, so I know I've already done a post on dog poisons, however Shine from Yahoo just came out with another article listing foods that are poisonous to both dogs AND cats. Some of the things I already knew, however there were a few new things on the list (new to me anyway) It also gives more information on why the animal can be allergic to it! If you want to read the original article, you can go here.

Posions:

Avocado (any part of the plant/fruit)
Onions, onion powder, chives, and garlic
Grapes and rasins
Yeast dough (or uncooked dough)
Left-over bones
Foods with a high fat/salt content
Coffee, Chocolate, Alcohol
Sugarless candy (aka food containing xylitol)
Macadamia nuts

Personally, I was quite curious about a few of these. I mean, is grape juice also poisonous to pets? I would assume so. The avocado also surprised me. I've also heard that whole peanuts are poisonous to dogs but not peanut butter? Oh well, I guess a little more research for another post. As for our dogs, we rarely give them people food and they usually aren't too pushy about it. The one we actually have trouble with is our horse, Tux. He has eaten everything from hotdogs and potato chips, to root beer (he can drink straight from a can or straw!) and birthday cake! We have to be very careful with him at rodeos! One time my sister set a can of Mountain Dew down on the fender of the trailer, she then turned around to pick up something from the ground and he wrapped his lips around the can, tipped his head back, and sucked out all the Mountain Dew! Before she noticed he set the can back where it was and she didn't figure out what happened until she picked it up to drink out of it! Lol. He's also good at stealing hot dogs from you without you noticing! (that's right, just the hotdog, he leaves the bun and wrapper)

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Good info about poisons. The Red Cross has a Pets First Aid course thats helpful.
    Turke has a tough time fitting in blog-time too. He's a busy, busy pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that! I'd definitely rather be safe than sorry! lol. Do you happen to know which pets they discuss? I'm very well-versed in horse first-aid (they tend to be a bit more delicate as far as their stomachs go and panic more easily when in danger, causing more injuries) but I'm not as good with the dogs, and know very little about cat first-aid! Welcome to the blog btw, glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete