Copyright Notice!

Welcome to my blog! Please feel free to look around and use any advice or information I post, HOWEVER you MAY NOT use any of my photos without my permission for any reason! If you would like to use my pictures please contact me and ask for permission! Thank you and enjoy!

~Becca & Mandy

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A Doggie Masseuse?

So when Mandy and I went to the 4-H district events the other night, we happened to meet a really interesting man. He was telling me that the Shitzu they used to have had terrible back problems. In an effort to relieve some of the dog's pain, the man met with a dog masseuse that taught him some dog massage techniques. At first I thought he was a little off his rocker, but when he reached down to pet Mandy, I quickly changed my mind! She immediately began to relax and I could tell she loved it! He said that nearly all dogs respond the same way! The masseuse who taught him to massage a dog's back showed him how it could be done using very little pressure. This way, you can't accidentally injure your pup by using too much pressure. I have done a little additional research on my own and it sounds like a very interesting topic. There appear to be multiple techniques. Some massages are meant to remedy certain things (such as an injured back, hip, or paw) other massages are used to prepare sport dogs for events such as agility. The type of massage that appeals most to me is the kind that is designed to help the dog relax. It sounds like a wonderful way for you and the dog to spend some quality bonding time! I've done a little research so far and here is some of the information I have found:

This article discusses some of the benefits of a therapeutic dog massage.
This one offers classes and workshops (at home as well) on how to massage your dog.
This article extensively discusses trigger point on humans, dogs, and cats.
And last but not least, this one gives advice and instructions on how to massage a dog.

I think it ultimately sounds like a good idea as long as you are careful not to injure your dog. Only light massages should be done by an amateur to ensure the safety of your pet!

4 comments:

  1. We have a chiropractor here in our little town who will treat dogs! He has a couple of his own and loves them. You make an appointment, meet him in the parking lot of his practice and he works on your dog! Having a GSD with a long back, it's nice to know that if Freyja should ever have problems there will be somewhere I can take her for treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool! We had a horse chiropractor that would come out to your house and work on your horse! It was great for an older horse we had and it was amazing what he could do! It was especially funny that it only cost 40 dollars! That's like 1/12th the price for a human chiropractor! lol It's definitely a very interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Becca and Mandy!
    GREETINGS FROM SOUTH AFRICA!
    I am popping by just to say "HI" (Scout and Freyja sent me here) to wish you well in your blogging and your therapy work.
    ome years ago, I too was involved in a therapy unit and wrote a special poem "IN HONOUR OF THE THERAPY DOG". You might want to see it:
    http://theadventuresofmaxdog.blogspot.com/2009/06/special-gift.html
    Your little Mandy is really sweet and I can see that she will be doing fabulous therapy work. You make a great team!
    Sending lotsaluv from us all
    MAXMOM AND THE MAXPACK IN SOUTH AFRICA
    http://www.theadventuresofmaxdog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! Being a part of a therapy team is really rewarding, and we both love it very much! I love your blog! My favorite picture is the one of toffee while he's upside down :) The therapy dog poem was great! It was so beautiful, and so true. Many stroke patients are inspired by the dogs when they are doing physical therapy. They are often encouraged to regain the ability to walk so they can help walk the dog, or to speak clearly so they can say the dog's name. Therapy work is truly rewarding in ways that can't be explained. Good luck with Max! He is clearly a wonderful and sweet dog!

    P.S. Thank you Scout and Freyja for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete